Thursday, January 21, 2010

IBD Flare-Up Friendly Recipe: Peanut Butter Cookies

Inspired by Kathryn's oh so yummy recipes for Crohnies in remission, I though I would offer a recipe of my own that is flare-up friendly. This recipe has:

- No dairy.
- No spices.
- Nothing acidic.
- No fiber.
- Awesome taste!

Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients

Dry
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 + 1/4 cup sifted all purpose flour (white)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Wet
1/2 cup margarine (try a dairy free one like Olivina) or butter
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (gently packed)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Instructions

1. Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Thoroughly cream together wet ingredients in a big bowl.
3. Blend dry ingredients into wet a bit at a time with a spoon or fork. Switch to using your hands as it gets thicker. Knead well.
4. Roll into 1 inch balls in your hand.
5. Place on a very lightly greased baking sheet with 1 inch space around each one. You can fit about 12 on a standard sheet.
6. Press each ball down half way with a fork.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Watch for the edges to get a bit brown.
8. Remove from baking sheet immediately and place on a cooling rack. They will feel a bit flimsy when they are still hot.
9. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes then store in an air-tight container.

Makes about 2-3 dozen.

These are a great comfort food. I like to eat them with my favourite milk-replacement beverage, like rice milk. They might be good with chocolate chips, but I've never tried it.

3 comments:

  1. Since you're posting something tummy-friendly, I was hoping it wouldn't be so tempting, but I see I was foiled and now want to make these! I have trouble with highly-processed sweets, so I look forward to trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I will have to make these when I have some time soon. Thank you!

    RED

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these and they are wonderful. Wish I could have a big glass of cold milk with them, but just happy to have something sweet that so far has been tummy friendly.

    ReplyDelete